Here are a few things to think about:
- Please feel free to talk to me about any questions or concerns you have about the process, your topic, the text, etc.
- When you are assigned your topic, you will also be given the poem that will go along with it on the page. Please consider the imagery in the words, as well as the topic. I will talk through plans for each illustration with you before you start.
- Please remember, about 25% of the image you create will be covered with text, both in English and a Cambodian translation. It doesn’t matter where the text goes, but please keep that in mind.
- Also remember there is a “spine” in the middle of each (2-page) spread so try not to place important figures, etc directly on the center line.
- I want the illustrations to of course, be captivating to children, however, this is also an art book which will showcase your individual style and techniques, so I encourage you to think outside the box and not to be intimidated by the idea of illustrating for children or to be constricted by your topic. I have invited you each to be illustrators because of your strong styles and based on what I’ve seen of your previous work.
- The book will be printed in a 7 in wide x 10 inches tall size in full color. That means EACH PIECE OF ART SHOULD BE 10 INCHES TALL and 14 INCHES wide.
- Although you do not have to work in that exact size, please try to work in a proportionately compatible size, such as 14” x 40” for example. If you have ANY questions about this PLEASE contact me. This will be an essential part of the work.
- After the work is finished (please see deadlines below) it will be scanned or photographed, then combined with the text and uploaded for publication.
- There will be a Kickstarter campaign (for the printing, shipping, and distribution of the book throughout Cambodia, to children in need) and a fund raising event (for the research, creation, and publication of future books) in the coming months. High quality prints of the work will be for sale online and at the in-person event and will be offered as “Kickstarter gifts” for people donating to the project.
- There is the opportunity for the original pieces of art to be for sale at the event (THIS IS NOT REQUIRED). The artist will set the price and 50% will go the project and 50% will be go the artist.
- At this time, all illustrations for this book will be done on a volunteer basis. If the fund raising goes over our goal there will be a payment to the artists, the amount to be determined at a later date. There will also be a small percentage of sales paid to each artist as a royalty which will also be determined at a later date. Artists will receive credit, (full name, short bio, and website) printed in the book.
- Books will be available for sale on Amazon, at the fund raising event, and through the website. Buyers will have the option to buy one or more books for themselves and also to “buy one and give one” where a book will be given to a child in Cambodia who would otherwise not have access to it.
- The Kickstarter campaign will be for the printing, shipping, and distribution of 500-1000 books through selected non-profit organizations throughout Cambodia later this year. The books will be gifted to children who would not otherwise be able to afford it, almost all of whom have never seen their own image reflected in a children’s book or even owned a book of any kind.
- Profits from the sale of the books will go towards the creation of more books and the sustaining of the book-creating enterprise.
- Each contributor to the book will receive a copy of the book and a print of their illustration.
- I have a plan to create more books starting this year. Please let me know if you or someone you know would be interested in participating in the writing and/or illustration of future books.
In order to keep with the tight schedule I am on for publishing, printing, and distributing the book before the travel date I have set for August 5, it is very important that these deadlines be met. If you feel like you are not able to make these dates, please let me know as soon as possible!
Saturday, February 22 5:30-7:30 PM – Meet & Greet for contributors to the book TRABANT (Pioneer Square)
Monday, March 17th - All artwork due pick-up or drop-off today
Friday, March 21st – Art scanned or photographed
Saturday, March 22nd - Thank you dinner for illustrators, updates, and send-off to publisher!
5:30-7:30PM @ Carolyn Hall's Loft Pioneer Square
Monday, March 23rd – Send art, text, and translated text to graphic designer
Tuesday, April 1st – Graphic designing deadline
Wednesday, April 2 – Send book for publication today
First week of June – Fund Raising event (and Kickstarter Campaign)
August 5 –Lauren leaves for Cambodia until December to distribute the book